French Macarons – classy, luscious, and surprisingly easy. These beautiful little morsels of tender meringues and creamy nutella combine a few simple ingredients to create not just a dessert but a delicious adventure to a warm Parisian bakery. Got a few minutes…take your sweet tooth to Paris!
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup almond flour
3 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
2 large egg whites (room temperature)
Pinch of cream of tartar
¼ cup sugar
1. Sift together powdered sugar, almond flour, and cocoa powder. Sift twice to make mixture really smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk egg whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add a pinch of cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks. Reduce the speed and slowly add the granulated sugar. Increase speed to high, and whisk until stiff peaks (about 8 minutes).
3. Fold flour mixture into the egg whites until smooth and shiny.
4. Spoon batter into a pastry or Ziploc bag. Cut a small corner in the Ziploc bag and pipe out ¾ inch rounds onto a parchment lined sheet.
5. Lower oven temperature to 325 degrees just before you are about to put the cookies in and bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
6. Cool cookies and spread nutella on the bottom wide of one cookie and top with an additional cookie. Store in the fridge and enjoy! J