Craving tart and sweet, creamy and silky, decadent and easy? Try this summertime pie complete with a silky, tart lemon filling, topped with sweet berries and a luscious meringue all resting atop a buttery graham cracker crust. Hi Summer!
For the Crust:
9-10 graham crackers
¼ cup sugar
Dash of salt
5 Tbsp. butter, melted
For the Filling:
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
Zest of 2 lemons
2 large egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue), plus one whole egg
Dash of salt
For the Topping:
12 ounces strawberries, sliced (about 2 cups)
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 large egg whites (use the 2 reserved from filling)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, grind graham crackers until crumbled. Add sugar, ¼ tsp. salt, and melted butter. Whiz until mixture is combined and holds together when pressed.
2. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and press crust eventy into the bottom and up all sides. A measuring cup helps. Freeze for 30 minutes.
3. Bake crust until firm and dark around the edges, about 10 minutes.
4. To make the filling, whisk together condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, egg yolks, egg, and ¼ tsp. salt. Pour into warm piecrust and bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let cool. Transfer to the fridge for at least 3 hours.
5. For the topping, sprinkle strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
6. In the bowl of a stand mixer or regular bowl, heat egg whites and remaining ½ cup plus 2 Tbs. sugar over simmering water for about 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a mixer and whisk at high speed for 9-9 minutes, until medium peaks form.
7. To assemble, spoon berries over pie and spoon meringue on top. If you have a kitchen torch, have at it until meringue is browned slightly or place in broiler until meringue is just browned on top.
Yum! Adapted from Martha Stewart.