Fall is definitely here. Time for warm favorites and comforting classics. Why not end the meal with a classy twist on the baked apple. Rum soaked raisins spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest and brown sugar warm the soul and spice up a classic. Top with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and mmm...
4 apples (Cortland, Granny Smith, or other good baking apples)
1/4 cup raisins
1 ½ tablespoons rum
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons slivered almonds
orange zest (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
1. In a small dish, combine raisins and rum. Soak for at least 1 hour. Drain.
2. Core apples using an apple corer or paring knife.
3. Combine raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest.
4. Fill apples with sugar mixture and top with a ½ tablespoon of pat butter.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Places apples in a baking dish and add ¼ cup water to the base. Cover apples with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve with vanilla ice cream and mmmmm….