Sunday, January 17, 2010

Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich: A 51 Porter Simple Pleasure



I stumbled across this amazing sandwich way back during my sophomore year of undergrad. GO BEARS! I had fallen in love with "banana wraps", which were these amazing little burritos available on campus. Peanut butter, sliced banana, granola, honey, and raisins were tucked away in a tortilla, and the mmmmm-gasms that they delivered were noteworthy. After my endless raving, my roommate at the time suggested that I create a sandwich: peanut butter and banana with honey. The rest is history, as this sandwich has delighted me day in and day out for nearly five years. Please see below for the fine, time-tested technique of creating this delicious and simple sandwich.


Ingredients:

*1/2 sliced banana (16 slices to be exact)
*1 tbsp all natural crunchy peanut butter
*1 tsp honey (or more if you'd like some extra sweetness)
*Dash of cinnamon
*2 slices whole grain bread








Directions:
1. If you can enjoy this sandwich at home, you definitely need to toast your bread. This isn't a must, but trust me, it makes a big difference. Pop that bread in the toaster!
2. While the bread is toasting, slice your banana. I prefer to have 16 slices, with 4 rows of four slices of banana. (Yes, I know this screams OCD, but this is the way I like it!:)
3. When your bread is nicely golden, spread the peanut butter across one slice.



3. Spread the banana slices evenly across the peanut butter-ed slice.



4. To add an extra kick of sweetness, I love a drizzle of honey.


5. And waiiiiit for it, I just discovered that a sprinkle of cinnamon (Thank you, Tim Blasko.) gives this sandwich a lovely bit of spice. Trust me, DO IT.


6. Buon appetito, friends!
Share

1 comment:

Around the Table

Around the Table
We love good food, get excited for Market Basket & Trader Joe's, serve salad out of a pasta pot, marvel in food photography, and love to laugh. You're always welcome at our table. Click on this photo to view our "People Around the Table" album.